Go Back   forum.vanderbilly.com > Video Discussions
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Video Discussions Discuss video lessons which have been posted.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:19 AM

close2u is on a distinguished road
Default Learn To Play It Right

This member has just uploaded over 20 instructionals.
Some may think that is great.
Others may think it is excessive - flooding the site.

From what he states he is a professional instructor.
The videos I have watched show a play through then a slowed down play through - so you need good eyes and ears.

Here's his vanderbilly page:
http://www.vanderbilly.com/learntopl...t,42167,2.html

His youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/learntop...?feature=watch

His website:
http://www.learntoplayitright.com/

Old 01-04-2013, 11:18 AM

TelePaul will become famous soon enoughTelePaul will become famous soon enough

There really needs to be a limit on the number of videos anyone should upload in one day - like maybe 2.

I haven't uploaded any vids in a month or so, but it would be discouraging for anyone to put up 1 vid and then be bumped to page 2 or 3 a few hours later.

Just my 2 cents.

Author of:

'A Sports Junkie'
'Between the Fuzzy Parts'
'The Avery Appointment'

Larry on Twitter

My wife's novel 'Kerrie's Grace: A New Beginning'
My guitar/music blog: The Backbeat
My sports blog: Season Tickets
My band page on Facebook: Limited Engagement
Old 01-04-2013, 12:15 PM

tminet will become famous soon enoughtminet will become famous soon enough

Well, I've never been a fan of flooding the vault, but the new contributor isn't told not to as far as I know, so I can't blame him. I watched a few of these lessons and they are fantastic - the guy is a really good player who nails most of these solos and then slows them down by different percentages depending on how difficult they are. Really top-drawer stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/Johndrakenosix
Old 01-04-2013, 12:30 PM

JJrocker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TelePaul View Post
There really needs to be a limit on the number of videos anyone should upload in one day - like maybe 2.

I haven't uploaded any vids in a month or so, but it would be discouraging for anyone to put up 1 vid and then be bumped to page 2 or 3 a few hours later.

Just my 2 cents.
I agree that flooding the system is a bit annoying. I personally believe it is improper etiquette and most people should know this.

I think the vid's are focused advertising for paid lessons. That's OK I suppose, but I think the message can be delivered without blitzing your vids at everyone!

Just my two cents.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:10 PM

swampyankee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tminet View Post
Well, I've never been a fan of flooding the vault, but the new contributor isn't told not to as far as I know, so I can't blame him. I watched a few of these lessons and they are fantastic - the guy is a really good player who nails most of these solos and then slows them down by different percentages depending on how difficult they are. Really top-drawer stuff.
+1 Dude rawks. I like the format too, nicely paced and to the point.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:50 PM

ITry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJrocker View Post
I agree that flooding the system is a bit annoying. I personally believe it is improper etiquette and most people should know this.

I think the vid's are focused advertising for paid lessons. That's OK I suppose, but I think the message can be delivered without blitzing your vids at everyone!

Just my two cents.
Good lessons but I do not think this site is the proper place to use for advertizing for profit lessons. Too many contributors give freely to help others without compensation.

My opinion, worth all you paid for it.

Also, not my call.

Really good, though.

Last edited by ITry; 01-04-2013 at 11:58 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator

cvidal has a spectacular aura aboutcvidal has a spectacular aura about

I've watched a few of the lessons and in my opinion they are high quality content. I will admit I was a little guarded about the phrase " learn to play it right"' seemed a little cocky, but he backs it up with some great playing.
Presently there is no rule concerning the quantity one uploads at any given time. I personally have no problem with it, but understand the concerns of others.
As to the opinion that these videos are advertising for a "pay for lesson" site, well this is how I see it. It would definitely be a problem if the videos were only teasers which gave you just a taste and forced you to go to his site to continue with the lesson, but that is not the case here. These are complete lessons, given freely. Hmm, complete, quality lessons, given freely? That sound kinda VBish!
Yes we do kinda frown upon using this site to promote competitive guitar sites, because the number of visits to the site helps John pay for it, but it is done on a reasonable basis already. If members come across another high quality site, and tells other members about it, well, we don't really try to curb that. Many of us regularly visit other great sites anyway. I mod this site, but have also visited other sites, such as Justin Sandercoe's site. Coincidently one of that sites mods is a member on this site. The point being, it's a big World Wide Web out there, and this site was set up to help people learn to play guitar. If part of that learning is to point out some additional resources, well I'm OK with that. If John or Davido or t, think that someone is abusing our good nature, we will deal with it. If either of them disagree with me on this one, we will work it out, but for me, right now, I like these lessons, am OK with him putting his link in the description, and though not a fan of it, will tolerate the mega upload.
Sorry for the long winded reply.

Last edited by cvidal; 01-05-2013 at 06:50 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:42 AM

SIXSTRING63 will become famous soon enoughSIXSTRING63 will become famous soon enough

I've been down this road on this for a few folks that have come on here and just dumped a bunch of video from YouTube. I really don't care for it either. I think if you don't take the time to load up videos through the VB instructional section I really don't think you should get instructional contributor status just embedded video status. It takes away from the folks who put in the effort to put up videos here and discuss them and not just dump them off. I realize they put in effort to do the videos on YT but if want to be a legit contributor load some via VB also. Just MHO.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:57 AM

zaxxaz is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=SIXSTRING63;222952]I've been down this road on this for a few folks that have come on here and just dumped a bunch of video from YouTube. I really don't care for it either. I think if you don't take the time to load up videos through the VB instructional section I really don't think you should get instructional contributor status just embedded video status. It takes away from the folks who put in the effort to put up videos here and discuss them and not just dump them off. I realize they put in effort to do the videos on YT but if want to be a legit contributor load some via VB also. Just MHO. [/QUOTE
+1
Old 01-05-2013, 08:34 AM

garyo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXSTRING63 View Post
I've been down this road on this for a few folks that have come on here and just dumped a bunch of video from YouTube. I really don't care for it either. I think if you don't take the time to load up videos through the VB instructional section I really don't think you should get instructional contributor status just embedded video status. It takes away from the folks who put in the effort to put up videos here and discuss them and not just dump them off. I realize they put in effort to do the videos on YT but if want to be a legit contributor load some via VB also. Just MHO.
I'm with SIX on this.