PDA

View Full Version : String wear vs. fret wear

kaicho8888
08-21-2012, 02:04 PM
I was changing my string set, and I noticed that I've got lots of fret wear on a guitar that was brand new only a few months ago. I don't know if frets are softer or strings are higher in the rockwell scale. Maybe I play more now...hmmmm.

I realize it's purely subjective, but anybody here at VB have any personal experience if certain brand of strings appear to cause more fret wear than others?

Astroboy058
08-21-2012, 03:44 PM
I was changing my string set, and I noticed that I've got lots of fret wear on a guitar that was brand new only a few months ago. I don't know if frets are softer or strings are higher in the rockwell scale. Maybe I play more now...hmmmm.

I realize it's purely subjective, but anybody here at VB have any personal experience if certain brand of strings appear to cause more fret wear than others?

I think it boils down to a players attack and how much they play. There are alot of types of fret wire..check out Warmoth and look at all the fret wire options,lol. Some fret wire is softer then others so.....

Ross6860
08-21-2012, 03:49 PM
Quality of the frets vs. hardness of the strings.

I have a 1997 Carvin, and the frets look showroom new. It obviously has hard nickel-silver frets.

I also have a Kramer that has gullies in the first five frets, the G and B strings are the worst, high E and D are next.

What brand/model guitar is it, and what strings are you playing?

I play pure nickel strings on all my "higher-end" guitars. I also use D'Addario XL (10s) on everything else. Even thought they are nickel plated steel, they don't appear to be too aggressive.

Of course, rotating guitars helps a lot. When I got the Kramer in 1995 it was the only guitar I had, so it got all the play time. I now have around 12, so needless to say the play time gets spread around a lot more now.

PS - I would never use stainless strings.

Hossy202
08-21-2012, 08:31 PM
I bought my strat a little over a year ago, but I often play three or four hours a day so my frets have dents and are getting really low under the b and e string, I'll probably need to get it refretted soon, and I've only had it a year!!!

kaicho8888
08-22-2012, 01:04 AM

What brand/model guitar is it, and what strings are you playing?

I use my Gibson LP as a "go to" axe. I've used EB for over 45+ years. But had a run of bad luck with EB. The ball ends kept unravelling one after the other. So a year or so ago, I tried another brand that was on sale...GHS Boomers. I don't know if they caused premature wear. Anyways, I'm back to using EB after I bought a couple of boxes on sale.

Just wondering if SS frets would be longer lasting... perhaps I should rotate guitars more often. Hmm... Oops, I loose prospective .... these guitars will probably outlast an old fart like me, LOL... so nevermind...just keep on rock'n! :D

kaicho8888
08-22-2012, 01:20 AM
I think it boils down to a players attack and how much they play. There are alot of types of fret wire..check out Warmoth and look at all the fret wire options,lol. Some fret wire is softer then others so.....

I'll check on it...just curious about it! Thanks.. Edit: Man, that's really customizing your very own neck... I didn't know there's such a thing as gold frets (bronze?)! That's more bling! Does it give better tone and sustain? LOL... Do I care...nah!

I also have a Kramer that has gullies in the first five frets, the G and B strings are the worst, high E and D are next.

Oh yeah, my vintage guitars have terrible gullies on the first few frets. I was told to cut my nails often. But I think it's the pressure of the finger tips on the rosewood.

I bought my strat a little over a year ago, but I often play three or four hours a day so my frets have dents and are getting really low under the b and e string, I'll probably need to get it refretted soon, and I've only had it a year!!!

I don't play as much as you do, but my frets do have the same deep nicks on lower frets and the higher frets are getting flatter on the G-B-E. I keep raising the bridge a little so they do not "fret-out" on bends.

glassback
08-22-2012, 04:05 AM
I had my Epi LP refretted with SS frets about three years ago, I play the heck outta that thing every day and theres not a blemish or any sign of wear on those SS frets yet.

kaicho8888
08-22-2012, 04:15 AM
I had my Epi LP refretted with SS frets about three years ago, I play the heck outta that thing every day and theres not a blemish or any sign of wear on those SS frets yet.

Long lasting SS frets... nice. May I ask how much it cost for a SS refret?

glassback
08-22-2012, 04:35 AM
Long lasting SS frets... nice. May I ask how much it cost for a SS refret?

I think it was 125 $200, It was my first proper guitar and i love the thing so i thought I'd get SS frets fitted, i'm never gonna have to worry about those again in my life time.

MikeGarveyBlues
08-22-2012, 10:14 AM
I think it was 125 $200, It was my first proper guitar and i love the thing so i thought I'd get SS frets fitted, i'm never gonna have to worry about those again in my life time.

Hey GB... Who did the re-fret?

125 seems like a very good price for a SS re-fret. Round my parts I was looking at closer to 200 for a standard re-fret of a bound rosewood board and 150 for a Strat style neck.

glassback
08-22-2012, 10:22 AM
Hey GB... Who did the re-fret?

125 seems like a very good price for a SS re-fret. Round my parts I was looking at closer to 200 for a standard re-fret of a bound rosewood board and 150 for a Strat style neck.

I go to this guy, http://www.tomsonguitars.co.uk/ Real top chap, Not sure if those prices have gone up since then! My Thunderbird bass is in there at present being tweaked and set up.

MikeGarveyBlues
08-22-2012, 10:34 AM
Sweet. Not too far at all then.

Ross6860
08-22-2012, 04:45 PM
I think the labor is the major cost in a quality re-fret and level. The material probably doesn't count a hill of beans in the mix. If it's a nice fiddle, you don't want some Bozo chipping the heck out of your board pulling the old frets. Check out their references.

There are also different grades of stainless, including stainless that is magnetic, so buyer beware.

Then there's the tone thing. Fret material make any difference? Probably not to my ears...

I would probably stay with nickel-silver if I ever wear out a set. I can only hope that happens;)